RE: binding c-h in isearch

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: binding c-h in isearch
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 14:20:12 -0700

> > It is difficult to remmeber all nice features of isearch.
> > Would it be possible to bind c-h to isearch-mode-help in isearch?
>
> There's the following code in isearch.el:
>
>     ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global
>     ;; definition--rms.
>     ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>     ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)
>
> So it seems that Richard found it inconvenient.  Could someone try and
> work out some clever way to reconcile the two functionalities?
>
> E.g. provide the generic help on C-h but the isearch-specific help on
> C-h C-h, or vice versa?

Since this can of worms has been opened and stirred...

FWIW, I disagree with the approach being considered (Juri's suggestion etc.). It
is complicated for nothing. The simplest approach is the best: C-h during
isearch should give the isearch bindings - bind C-h to `isearch-mode-help'.

That is the convention, and it is a good one. This is like C-h following any
other prefix key. Richard is just wrong about this. Why jump through hoops?

If you are isearching and you want the global help, then (guess what?) you
simply exit isearch: RET or whatever. Nothing hard about that.

Nothing new here. No need for fancy, inconsistent stuff. No need to complicate
the UI. Just C-s...C-h to see the isearch bindings and C-s...RET C-h to see the
global help.