Re: 23.0.60; Heavy display problems with new font backend

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Heavy display problems with new font backend
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:29:48 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>>   - quite often a "w", "k", "S" or "r" looks bold although it shouldn't
>>   - "m" has a green shine between its legs
>>   - fonts aren't sharp as if subpixel hinting was disabled
>>
>> The attached pics fonts{1,2,3,4}.png show some of those minor display
>> problems.
>>

> I only see the first problem. Which suggests that the subpixel
> antialiasing is correct for my display but incorrect for yours, as the
> letters all look sharp for me, without any more color artifacts than
> you'd expect from subpixel antialiasing.

Hm, I use XFCE here which sets subpixel antialiasing for all
applications (I tried setting it with Xresources, too).  If I compare
emacs to some other editor using the same font, the difference is
obvious.

>> While trying to find some more of those display problems I opened the
>> attached UTF-8 testfile and found a major display bug.  The pics
>> v-with-dot.png and v-with-dot2.png show it.
>>
> These seem to be problems in the composition rules for those
> modifiers. Things probably don't look much better with the old font
> code either.

Hm, with --disable-font-backend using adobe courier font, I cannot see
the dots over v and r, but at least the characters aren't displayed
twice when point moves over them.

>> Additionally in that file most greek chars aren't antialiased.
>>
> Only some fonts support antialiasing.  If you try different greek
> fonts, you might find one where it works.

Hm, at least kwrite does antialiasing for these greek chars using the
same font I've set for emacs.  The results don't look too sharp, though.

Bye,
Tassilo