Re: 22.2.50; Display of "zero width no-break space" (U+FEFF)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 22.2.50; Display of "zero width no-break space" (U+FEFF)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:09:33 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 02:57:29 +0300
>
> >> in Emacs 22.2.50, "zero width no-break space" (U+FEFF) is displayed as
> >> a hollow box. [1]
> >>
> >> I think for normal buffers it should be displayed like ` ' (NO-BREAK
> >> SPACE, U+00A0) i.e. using the face face `nobreak-space'.  But when
> >> `nobreak-char-display' is nil, it should not be displayed at all or
> >> like a normal SPC.  (Dunno what Unicode says about it.)
> >
> > Any opinions on this?
>
> This is the same character as BOM.  But since it is *ZERO-WIDTH*
> NO-BREAK SPACE, it seems it shouldn't be displayed at all in view mode.
> But it edit mode, it would be preferable to have some indication
> about the presence of this character in the buffer.

I think there will be many characters such as U+FEFF defined by
Unicode that we will need to decide how to display in various modes.
It's not right, IMO, to decide about their display one by one, when
someone happens to pop a question.  We should probably have some kind
of general policy about them.  I suggest that Someone(TM) looks at
this issue and suggests how we should deal with these characters,
based on Unicode recommendations and on what other Unicode-capable
editors do.