RE: testing for a remote file to include file on aWindows mappeddrive

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: testing for a remote file to include file on aWindows mappeddrive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:08:16 -0700

> > The expressed need is to know whether accessing a file with
> > a given name might be significantly slower than accessing a
> > local file on an ordinary drive etc.
>
> Is a file on a NAS volume connected via GbE slower than a file on a
> locally mounted crappy USB stick?

Did you read my mail? The point is not where a file is or how it is accessed.
The point is to be able, as far as practicable, to determine quickly whether a
given file name represents a file whose access would likely be slow.

However that's done, and whatever limitations on the accuracy or completeness
might pertain, that's the need.

No one is asking for 100% accuracy. We already have a function, `file-remote-p',
that helps to some extent in this regard. But it (or some other function) could
be better.