Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:39:37 +0200

Paul R <address@hidden> writes:

>> After all: new users might give up because they don't realize that
>> what fails to make them more efficient than when using other editors
>> is only a default setting, not inherent to the emacs program itself.
>
> Yes. But I am not trying to argue what is the most efficient way to
> work, I'm leaving this decision to each emacs user feeling.

But it is inefficient to dig around for customization options and
different work styles all the time...

> If you had a shop at the first floor of a building, would you build
> some stairs with 1 meter high steps each, just because you know its
> doable with lots of training, and incidentatly more efficient than
> many many tiny 20cm high steps, like in every other place ?

It isn't more efficient.  Simple biomechanics (muscles work best in
intermediate elongation, in particular when we are talking about those
bending a limb).  Even if you believed it to be more efficient, nobody
keeps you from taking five steps at a time.

I think there is no necessity to throw bad-fitting analogies into the
discussion: there is enough material to cover without them.