RE: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: testing for a remote file to include file on a Windows mapped drive
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:11:49 -0700

> > Whether I access a local Windows drive (even a slow one) or
> > a Windows mapped network drive that happens to be in India,
> > there is a world of difference.
>
> No one in their right minds will mount a drive half the globe away via
> NFS or similar networking filesystem.  They will always use something
> like Tramp or ftp.  So this problem simply does not exist in practice.

I didn't say anything about NFS or similar; I mentioned Windows mapped network
drives.

I don't know what your idea of "does not exist in practice" is, but I work for a
fairly large corporation with developers and servers all over the planet, and
that is how we work.

I have mapped drives to UNIX and GNU/Linux machines (running Samba), and those
machines can be anywhere. In some cases, it is faster to access a machine far
away than a machine next door - it all depends on the particular network
properties in play (protocols, hardware, whatever). However, accessing a mapped
network drive is typically much slower than accessing a local hard drive (please
- no comments about USB sticks).