Re: 23.0.60; html-mode syntactic fontification error at line 164

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; html-mode syntactic fontification error at line 164
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:28:44 +0200

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
This is a rather strange fontification error. Sometimes lines after a certain line or the last part of the line itself gets fontified as strings (which is incorrect) and sometimes not. I do not believe I am able to make a simple example of this. Instead I have put up a copy of the file where I saw it on the web:

  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/html-syntactic-err-l164.html

To reproduce the error download this file, start Emacs with

  emacs -Q

open the file (switch to html-mode if it is not opened in html-mode) and go to line 164. There can be a little bit different errors, but the most common is that the lines below this line are fontified as string. I found right now that if I do

  M-g g 164

then I see the error above. However if I scroll down line by line to line 164 then the fontification is ok.

For other versions of misfontification I am not sure how to reproduce them at the moment.

I think that this problem is related to > characters that are not part of a tag. parse-partial-sexp can return negative values for parent depth when it find such character.