Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: patch for optional inhibit of delete-other-windows(IDE feature)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:30:31 +0200

> The compile-window is used to display all stuff like help-buffers, compile-
> grep-buffer etc...

Do you mean that C-h ... are not allowed to display the help buffer in
the edit-area?  How do you achieve that?

> is customizable by mode and regexp which buffers should
> be automatically alwasy being displayed in the compile-buffer - example:
> When you do switch-to-buffer in one of the edit-windows and you insert a
> buffer which is customized to be displayed in the compile-window then
> ECB will switch to this buffer in the compile-window (if it is displayed
> in the current layout) - in generell the advices of switch-to-buffer and
> pop-to-buffer are one of the most important ones currently because
> the do all the needed smartness to display the right buffer in the right
> window...

Did you ever try to tackle these problems with `same-window-regexps' or
`same-window-buffer-names'?  Though I suppose they are too fuzzy for
your purposes.

> Redraw the ECB screen according to the layout set in `ecb-layout-name'.

How do you get the structure needed for splitting windows into a layout
- do you use the `window-tree' function?

> After
> this function the edit-window is selected which was current before redrawing.
> If no-buffer-sync is not nil then the ecb-buffers will not be synchronized. If
> ecb-windows-creator is not nil then it will be used to draw the layout instead
> of the standard layout. If window-configuration-data is not nil it must be an
> object returned by `ecb-window-configuration-data' and will be used for
> restoring the layout.

Is `ecb-window-configuration-data' based on
`current-window-configuration'?  In this case you always get edit-area,
special windows, and whatever have you in one big pot.  Do you trim away
windows you don't need then?

> If emergency is not nil then all other args will be
> ignored and the layout will be redrawn like defined in the current layout and
> the edit-area will be unsplitted and will just contain the buffer before the
> emergency-redraw.
> ---
>
> Not important, you understand this function but what you see is, there
> are some parameter (e.g. NO-ECB-WINDOWS) which determine what should be done.
> This is quite long and compley function and what it does is basically: It
completely
> cleans the whole ECB-frame and then redraws exactly that window-layout which
> is needed in the current context.

IIUC the first thing we should provide is find a way to (i) squeeze an
entire frame into a window and (ii) blow up an internal Emacs window to
a frame.  The only problems I see here are how to specify the internal
window (saying the smallest internal window containing windows 10, 14
and 17 seems tedious) and how to preserve identities of windows within
such configurations (`set-window-configuration' is notorious for
breaking the 'window overlay-property).

>>I meant "select", for example, using `other-window'.  How do you
>>select
>>the compile-window or the other special ECB-windows when you're in the
>>edit-area?
>
> Ah, now i understand: I simple use `select-window' with right window-
> object...the window-object of the compile-window is always stored
> in a variable and the dedicated browsing windows are selectable
> by buffer-name...

... and `other-window' always stays within one and the same group, I
presume.  We then probably want a command `other-group' and bind it to
C-x ... o.