Re: Very interesting analysis of "the state of Emacs"

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Very interesting analysis of "the state of Emacs"
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:12:54 +0200

>  Before diving in the merits of whether or not it is possible to add
> multi-tasking to Emacs (by that I assume full-blown threads), what are the
> problems this is trying to solve?
>  So I am at a loss why this is so important. Could someone clarify?

>From time to time I find myself "stuck" in Dired, doing some operation
on many files or on slow network drives. Some things I do:

 - Browsing the thumbnails of some image directory where no images
have thumbnails generated yet. Yes, this might be possible to fix by
changing `image-dired' in clever ways.
 - `dired-do-shell-command'. Most of the time I could have added "&"
at the end to make the call asynchronous.
 - Marking files containing regexp R (the `% g' command). This might
be possible to solve by rewriting that command, I don't know.

It is quite seldom that I find a need for multi threading (or
whatever) when I just execute a one time single command, but I can see
that those with a heavy Gnus config might suffer, as people have
mentioned.