Re: Next release

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 09:44:10 +0900

> IIUC, the way things are right now is that multi-tty works on free
> software platforms, but not on Carbon.  It was merged onto the
> trunk, in such a way that the Carbon port does not possess multi-tty
> functionality but at least still compiles.

It could compile after the multi-tty merger but the resulting binary
became unbearably unresponsive.  I don't know if it possessed
multi-tty functionality.

> If, ultimately, no one is willing to work on getting multi-tty
> functionality working for Carbon, we'll release Emacs 23 with
> multi-tty functionality turned on for free software platforms (and
> whatever other platforms people can get it working on).  So the work
> to "at least get it compiling on Carbon" is a necessary step.

As I've been saying, if the Cocoa/GNUstep port becomes good enough, we
don't have to do anything about the Carbon(+AppKit) port of Emacs 23.
Maybe the maintainers can put some time schedule to judge if the
Cocoa/GNUstep port is good enough for the official Emacs 23?

I may develop the Carbon+AppKit port of Emacs 23 for my private use or
just for fun.  But the quality and efforts required for the official
distribution are quite different from those for the private use.  For
the latter, I can limit the OS version to the latest one, and I can
omit the features that I don't use.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden