M-x dired and read-file-name-completion-ignore-case

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: M-x dired and read-file-name-completion-ignore-case
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:28:46 +0200

Since a fairly recent change, `C-x d' (i.e. `M-x dired') no longer
ignores case when read-file-name-completion-ignore-case is non-nil.  I
suspect this change:

2008-04-29  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>
        [...]
        * dired.el (dired-read-dir-and-switches): Replace last change with
        a new approach that mixes read-file-name and read-directory-name.

(This change eliminates the call to read-directory-name (unless
next-read-file-uses-dialog-p is non-nil), which eliminates the call to
read-file-name, which checks read-file-name-completion-ignore-case.)  Is
this result intended?  If so, please mention it in NEWS, since it is
incompatible with earlier behavior.  (But I would prefer to have the
earlier behavior restored.)

Steve Berman