RE: :file keyword for Customize

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: :file keyword for Customize
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 11:00:37 -0700

> > The granularity for Customize customizations, in terms of
> > persistence and loading is currently all or none: everything
> > is in one file (`custom-file' or `init-file').
>
> JDEE at least, saves its own customizations in project files in the
> local directory. I think Gnus also lets you save your Gnus related
> customizations in .gnus. That is why I suggested looking at
> what those packages do.

I'm thinking of this for ordinary options and faces. I know that libraries can
write their own persistent data to whatever files they want. This is about
ordinary user options and faces.

> > It just occurred to me that it might be better to at least let
> > Emacs-Lisp programmers group customizations into smaller
> > persistence/load units, if they see fit.
>
> It might be better to do it at the group level than each individual
> customization then, if grouping is the desired outcome.

I considered that, but I don't think so. This is for maximum flexibility.
Grouping via `defgroup' tends to be about user-apparent similarities, e.g.
similarity of area of application. This is a different kind of grouping, having
to do with where data is stored and when it is loaded.

We could of course also allow :file for `defgroup', to provide an easy way to
specify the same file for all options & faces in a particular group. There is no
reason, however, to hard-couple the two kinds of grouping. Also, it is common
for the same `defcustom' or `defface' to use multiple :group's.