Re: Uncomprehensible DOC string

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Uncomprehensible DOC string
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 11:35:34 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> No, but saying a file name handler will be called based on
> default-directory without telling what the file name handler is actually
> supposed to be processing is not much use I think.  The command?  The
> command line arguments?  The executable?

_The_ file name handler, which belongs to `default-directory', will be
applied. Whether there is a file name handler for one of the
parameters of `start-file-process', is not relevant. This is
different wrt to other primitive functions, like `file-exists-p'.

Currently, there ought to be only one implementation of such a file
name handler, `tramp-handle-start-file-process'. _This_ file name
handler runs the command on the corresponding remote host. Arguments
are taken literally; it would be safe to use relative file names only
as arguments of the command.

Best regards, Michael.