Re: 23.0.60; Frame sizing problem with toolbar containing no toolbar but

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Frame sizing problem with toolbar containing no toolbar buttons
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 12:42:04 +0200

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Tim Van Holder <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 15:14:00 +0200
>>

>> CVS emacs of this morning, with GTK toolkit (rebuilt, not bootstrapped).
>>
>> Buffers with no associated toolbar buttons now show an empty
>> toolbar (which is probably the actual bug).
>
> Confirmed -- sort of -- on Windows.  But what I see is somewhat
> different: the *scratch* buffer shown at startup has all of its
> tool-bar buttons up to and including "undo" removed, i.e. the first
> button I see is "cut", and it's located after an empty spot whose size
> is about 1.5 buttons.  A few other buttons between "paste" and
> "customize" are missing.

On a (potentially) related note, today I saw "animated" toolbar
buttons - when switching between buffers (e.g. from C mode to
Compilation mode), the buttons "glide" into place (2 forms: in one
case, buttons are only removed, and the remaining ones "fall" to the
left; in the other, buttons are added more or less instantly, but the
Help button visibly "slides" to the right).
Some time later, this went away, returning to the "empty toolbar"
state (Compilation mode has no buttons at all).
Is that "animated toolbar" a feature, or just another symptom of the
underlying bug? If the former, is there a way to disable it? It seems
to introduce a small delay between switching to a buffer and being
able to work in it; and even without such a delay, I consider such a
"toy" to be an unnecessary distraction.

Another symptom: in C++ mode, I see 4 buttons, with the icons for Cut,
Copy, Customize and Help - but the tooltip for all except for Copy
lists "Pop up the Help menu", and C-h k indeed explains all of them as
<tool-bar> <help>.

As an aside, the help text for <tool-bar> <help> is the not-very-helpful

  <tool-bar> <help> runs the command #[nil "\301!\207"
  [menu-bar-help-menu popup-menu] 2 nil nil], which is an interactive
  compiled Lisp function.

  (anonymous)

  Not documented.