Re: Memory leak

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Memory leak
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 04:11:09 +0900

Evil Boris writes:

 > I do not know if this is related, but sometime after January (around
 > Unicode merge) I noticed that, after running for a while (have not
 > been able to notice when precisely this happens, but seems to require
 > having at least one X frame, sometimes happens within a few minutes of
 > starting), Emacs starts occupying 190-250Mb of memory.

FWIW, XEmacs has some hard-to-pin-down memory leaks, too, one or more
of which seems to be related to Xft/fontconfig.

These packages are coded in the classic X11 style, meaning that the
burden is entirely on the client code to clean things up.  There *is*
refcounting and things like that, but for internal use of the Xft
code.

I have no idea what the memory use characteristics of underlying
rendering engines such as FreeType might be, so this has been really
hard to track down.