Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; [nxml] BOM and utf-8
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:14:46 +0200

> So pop up a warning to the effect that the BOM was stripped per the
> Unicode standard, and that if it needs to be preserved, set
> UNICODE_ME_SOFTLY in the environment or bind `unicode-me-softly'
> around the codec.

It would be sufficient to use an encoding variation which adds the bom
back on writing.

I am actually surprised that this is not done right now: I thought we
had a discussion about having the BOM-encodings early in the automatic
encoding detections.

> Alternatively, sabotage the Microsoft users by silently eating the BOM
> on the way in, and writing the file in GNU substandard[1] format on
> the way out.

Emacs developers are not nonchalant about having Emacs write a byte
sequence differing from what it read in (apart from where it can't help
it, like with non-canonically encoded valid texts in shift character
based encodings) in my impression, and it is one of the better features.