Re: ntemacs hangs when openning the attached file

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: ntemacs hangs when openning the attached file
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:13:03 +0000

Stefan, Eli,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 11:48:47AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 12:01:38 +0800
> > From: "yu jie" <address@hidden>

> >     The current CVS header version hangs when openning the attached file.

> No, it doesn't hang, it just takes a lot of time to visit this file.
> I measured 61 seconds on a 3GHz machine.  This file has 86406 lines,

and at 1 line per second would take just over a day to print.  This is a
big file.

> I'm guessing that this formatting coupled with the sheer size of the
> file somehow triggers an inefficiency.

[ .... ]

> This seems not to be related to fontification, but rather to something
> that c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP does during C Mode initialization.

It's just that c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP takes a long time in such a
large buffer.  However, it would take just as long if it were split into
several smaller buffers.

c-neutralize-syntax-in-CPP is a newish function which counteracts
problems cause by things like:

    #define RBRACE }

.  The answer would seem to be calling the function lazily or in the
background, a bit like jit-lock does for font locking.

Stefan, I think you mentioned a long time ago that jit could be used for
things other than font locking, but I can't find the thread.  Any clues?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).