Re: Memory leak

From: Evil Boris
Subject: Re: Memory leak
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:54:44 -0400

"Evil Boris" <address@hidden> writes:

> I do not know if this is related, but sometime after January (around
> Unicode merge) I noticed that, after running for a while (have not
> been able to notice when precisely this happens, but seems to require
> having at least one X frame, sometimes happens within a few minutes of
> starting), Emacs starts occupying 190-250Mb of memory.  Since I
> usually edit smallish files (<50-100K) and not too many of them (<10,
> generally), the only candidate for "eating space" is my RMAIL file,
> which is around 30Mb.

I just checked, with a recent version from CVS [GNU Emacs 23.0.60.9
(sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit) of 2008-05-21 on ziggy], with no X
frames ever opened, playing almost exclusively with a few small files,
with the sole exception of my 30Mb mailbox, top shows:

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
 1754 ...        1  58    0  174M  172M sleep   4:59  0.00% emacs

174Mb again?  Any ideas?  Any code I can run to try to see what the
memory is being being used for?

--Boris