Re: Problems preloading x-win.el (was: Next release)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Problems preloading x-win.el (was: Next release)
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:19:47 +0900

>>> Doesn't it?  I have missed the corresponding discussion, sorry.
>>> Is there some detailed info about it somewhere?

>> This one.
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg02165.html

> I must be missing something: this message seems to give the solution
> (i.e. "increase the room for load commands").

The room was sufficient for the final dump even with preloading
x-win.elc.  Another dump to create bootstrap-emacs needed some extra
room but that could be avoided by not preloading x-win.el at this
stage.

>> I guess .el requires more resources in preloading than .elc.

> No, the two kinds of files are pretty much identical.  But maybe
> x-win.el for some reason requires a lot of resources.

I think they are quite different in allocation of code.  The former
allocates it as (mostly) cons cells, but the latter does it as byte
codes in the pure storage.  This difference would also affect the
sizes/numbers of spaces that have been requested to the system.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden