Re: 23.0.60; on Mac OS X permissions of group-writable files are display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; on Mac OS X permissions of group-writable files are displayed with red w
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:00:31 +0300

> From: Peter Dyballa <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 21:11:49 +0200
>
> GNU Emacs explains to me (after following hypertext links from *Help*
> buffers) that dired-perm-write face comes out of dired.el, from these
> lines:
>
>       (defface dired-perm-write
>         '((((type w32 pc)) :inherit default)  ;; These default to rw-rw-rw.
>           ;; Inherit from font-lock-comment-delimiter-face since with min-
> colors 8
>           ;; font-lock-comment-face is not colored any more.
>           (t (:inherit font-lock-comment-delimiter-face)))
>         "Face used to highlight permissions of group- and world-writable
> files."
>         :group 'dired-faces
>         :version "22.2")
>
> I am pretty sure that I neither have some MS stuff on my lap nor a PC
> in use ... so why do I see these red w in drwxrwxr-x or -rw-rw-r-- ?

You see them precisely _because_ you never had any MS stuff on your
lap.  Look at the defface above: it says that on w32 and MSDOS (that's
what `pc' means) dired-perm-write face is identical to the default
face, whereas on all other systems it looks like
font-lock-comment-delimiter-face.

This feature is meant to make world-writable files to stand out on
systems where it isn't the default, presumably to alert you to
possible security holes.