Re: GTK+Emacs on w32?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: GTK+Emacs on w32?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:47:36 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Markus Triska tried the xwidget patch for embedding gtk widgets in emacs
buffers on macosx. I develop on fc8 gnu/linux.

It would be interesting to also test on w32, compiling emacs to use gtk
on w32. Is this possible?

It seems (looking at bug reports he has filed) that Markus uses X11 on macosx. Windows does not support X11 natively, so it will be significantly harder (ie a rewrite of the GTK support in Emacs to not depend on X, and a rewrite of the Windows code to not depend on the native Windows API) to get a GTK build working with the w32 build of Emacs. Cygwin will probably work, though I don't know if anyone has ever successfully used GTK with the Cygwin X11 build (there doesn't appear to be an active maintainer for the Cygwin port, and we only occasionally hear about it from users when there are problems).