Re: pretest, devel and bug lists

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: pretest, devel and bug lists
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 10:34:46 +0200

On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:49:07 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> If things sent to emacs-pretest-bug are being fed into a bug tracker
>> and sent to bug-gnu-emacs, then I would say there is no need for
>> copies to _also_ be sent to emacs-devel.
>
> AFAIK messages sent to bug-gnu-emacs pass through the bug-tracker, but
> not messages sent to emacs-pretest-bug (which are redirected to
> emacs-devel instead).

Since (and because) this redirection was instituted I have usually sent
bug reports directly to emacs-devel, except where I thought it was more
helpful or convenient to use report-emacs-bug.

> I think this should be changed so that messages sent to
> emacs-pretest-bug do not go to emacs-devel any more but go to the
> bug-tracker instead.

If this is done, should *no* bug reports be sent any longer to
emacs-devel (and if they were, would that lower their chances of getting
attended to)?  It might be helpful for a maintainer to issue a policy
statement (preferably clearly recognizable as such) about this.

Steve Berman