Re: Three strikes them out

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Three strikes them out
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:24:56 +0200

> What happens when you set `jit-lock-context-time' to a very large value?
>
> I can dig up one of those cases that loops and try it, but why do you
> propose that? (It might of course help a bit to find out where the
> problem happens and I have one case where this could indeed be
> interesting, but I am not sure if that is what you mean.)

If font-lock loops within contextual refontification there's either a
bug in font-lock (which I consider highly impropable) or there's a bug
in your code (maybe some function called by a hook or another timer)
that changes the buffer and re-triggers contextual refontification.
Whatever applies should be resolved.

> The general problem that looping in a timer may hang Emacs is what I
> really wanted to address here.

You can't: As soon as you manage to exit looping, a repeating idle timer
will fire again.