Re: emacs' turn: remove useless if-before-free tests

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: emacs' turn: remove useless if-before-free tests
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:10:53 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jim Meyering <address@hidden> writes:
>> SunOS4 is no longer supported or even used, so that's not an issue.
>
> Er, SunOS 4 is still used here...
>
> [Not that I really disagree with your patch, mind you...]

Used how?  So far (in the last year or two), the only reports I've
heard of people using SunOS4 have been from computer museum curators.

Even if someone wants to use emacs with my changes on such a system,
it's not hard: define -Dfree=rpl_free and add this definition:

void
rpl_free (void *p)
{
  if (p)
    free (p);
}

That's what is done by the gnulib "free" module.  It provides the
configure snippet to test for a losing free function, as well as the
replacement, which is compiled only if needed.

But even in coreutils, I've stopped using that module,
as it is now useless, itself, AFAIK.