Re: face-remapping-alist client code

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: face-remapping-alist client code
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:44:41 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm not crazy about binding keys for this (just by loading), and those key
> bindings in particular. It's OK to suggest bindings in the Commentary,
> however.

That kind of thing will be cleaned up before committing (I'm not
entirely sure how one goes about adding default bindings).

[I think the C-+/C-= and C-- bindings are correct however, as they are
what people expect.]

> In May of 2004, I believe you proposed something similar. How does this
> differ?
> I seem to recall vaguely that there were some limitations wrt the fonts that
> could be resized this way (some available font sizes were skipped, perhaps?).
> Am
> I misremembering?

I did, though the mechanism was quite different.

The current code operates _per buffer_ (the previous code grew or shrunk
the entire frame).  I think per-buffer operation is far more useful
(e.g., I currently have my Gnus article buffer resized up one step which
is kind of pleasant; for viewing big files, resizing down a step or two
is quite nice).

The size calculations I'm using are the same as before -- a simple
constant factor height scaling for each step -- and probably will
occasionally miss a step on platforms with only non-scalable fonts and
poor font size coverage.  With scalable fonts, however, this simple
calculation works very well.

[Another issue with per-frame size changing was that very frequent
changing of the default frame face tended to crash Emacs.  The whole
baroque mechanism that gets invoked for that case is complicated and
fragile.]

-Miles

--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein