Re: Ntemacs chooses wrong font.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Ntemacs chooses wrong font.
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:23:48 +0100

Kevin Yu wrote:
> If you input any Chinese into a new buffer, Ntemacs will use the same
> font as ASCII characters (iso8859-1). Of course that font is not
> suitable for Chinese, so I get only white spaces on the window.
> describe-char shows that emacs has detected that it's a Chinese
> character, but chosen a wrong font(wrong charset):
> character: 实 (23454, #o55636, #x5b9e)
> preferred charset: gb18030 (GB18030)
> code point: 0xCAB5
> -outline-Monaco-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x03)

Another font that maps unsupported glyphs to 0x03 instead of 0x00.
DejaVu Sans Mono seems to do this too. Perhaps it is common amongst
truetype fonts that were not designed for Windows.

> if I open a existed file with Chinese characters, everything goes well.

Can you show the output you get from C-u C-x = in that case? It seems
strange that a different font would be used for the two cases. Perhaps
comparing the two outputs will give some clues.