Re: Font backend: Observations on speed on Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Font backend: Observations on speed on Windows
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:15:59 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Today I fired a fresh CVS Emacs and, with great surprise, noticed that
>> the screen is painted with acceptable speed on my old 550 MHz
>> machine. The second odd thing is that the font used was not the one I
>> expected. Emacs was using
>>
>> -raster-MS Sans Serif-normal-normal-normal-sans-16-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1
>>
>> so I changed the default font to
>>
>> -outline-Courier New-normal-normal-normal-mono-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
>>
>> and the slowness manifested again. It is my impression that it is not so
>> bad as some weeks ago, though.
>>

> Does the display become similarly fast when anti-aliasing is disabled,
> even with the Courier New font?

How do I disable anti-aliasing? (This is Windows2K)

> How is it with other truetype fonts, particularly sans serif ones,
> which are less likely to overspill the character cell boundaries when
> antialiased?

The list of available fonts is quite short. I tried this:

-outline-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-mono-16-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1

and the rendering speed is not worse, although it is not obvious that is
better than Courier New. Sorry, can't be more precise. Can you recommend
a method for measuring font rendering speed on Emacs, so I can give
accurate reports?

--
Oscar