RE: breadcrumbs for Info . . . . . .

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: breadcrumbs for Info . . . . . .
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:42:20 -0700

> > IOW, is this a real problem in practice or just a
> > hypothetical problem?
>
> There were reports about Info taking substantial time to read
> Info subfiles on slow connections.  You can search for e.g.
> "Info slow connection" keywords and find posts like
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/17436/focus=18058
> I don't know how often such situations happen nowadays.
>
> Anyway, Info already scans the whole manual on the first visit
> to find the index nodes, so it could build an internal node tree
> as well on the same pass.

I will let others debate and decide that.

> There is also another visual problem: when Info-hide-note-references
> is nil, the displayed breadcrumbs line is not nice looking:
>
> *Note Top:: > *Note Files::  > *Note Saving::  > *Note Backup::

That's a bug. I had tried to take care of that in the patch, but I missed some
parts. Please try the attached patch, which should fix it.

I also fixed an infinite recursion bug that occurred sometimes, due to
Info-goto-node calling Info-fontify-node and (from the patch) vice versa.

The change log remains the same.