Re: Stak dump with tar.[bz2/gz] files (Cygwin)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Stak dump with tar.[bz2/gz] files (Cygwin)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:36:43 +0300

> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:00:42 +0200
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> C-x C-f /tmp/hello1.tar.bz2
>
> [New thread 4060.0xb8]
> [New thread 4060.0x2fc]
>        3 [sig] emacs 4060 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
> emacs.exe.stackdump
>
> Program exited with code 0103000.

This is not helpful.  For some reason, GDB didn't catch the signal.
(Is that "3" the signal number or something else?)

Apart of asking on the Cygwin list what does this all mean, I'd
suggest to do this, once you are inside GDB, but _before_ the "run -Q"
command:

 (gdb) handle all print

Beware: this will cause GDB to catch the SIGINT signal generated when
you press C-g in Emacs, so try to avoid using C-g in this session.

Also, I think the two new threads above are spawned to handle the
signal.  Maybe you can set a breakpoint in open_stackdumpfile, and
then, when that breakpoint is hit, see where the main thread caught
the signal.

> GNU gdb 6.8.0.20080328-cvs (cygwin-special)

If the above doesn't help, perhaps try using a stable release of GDB
instead of a CVS snapshot, to avoid being hit by some regression
introduced into the development code.