Re: Second tab key for completion

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: Second tab key for completion
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:09:49 -0700

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:
> Some month ago I started testing an idea for using the second tab key
> for completion. I think I told about the idea here then.
>
> [...]
>
> Any thoughts or ideas?

This looks useful.  I have had something similar but much more
primitive for awhile in Sepia, a Perl editing package I maintain.
Specifically, tab tries to indent, but if no indentation occurs,
it will try to expand an abbrev or function name before point.  I
think I prefer your "second tab" version, though.

In briefly trying it out, I think there's too much visual
feedback by default.  In particular, changing the mode line
causes a distracting flicker away from where you are editing, and
seems redundant when you already show a mark on the active line.

Sean