Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:13:18 -0400

"Juanma Barranquero" wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:23, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> a) I doubt the changes to lisp/Makefile.in were made for no reason.
>
> How does that follow, or relate, to what I said? (about changing the
> *Windows makefiles*.)

Because the changes I refered to should be independent of whether
using Unix or Windows, since the emacs lisp files and their
dependencies are independent of arch. The only differences should be
the Windows-specific shell commands (or whatever). For example, from a
quick glance at makefile.w32-in:

CVSREAD=1 should be handled on Windows, if the concept is applicable
there.

It is claimed that everything that uses emacs during build must depend
on emacs-deps.

`bootstrap-clean' should run autogen-clean.

autogen-clean should exist on all archs, since it is referred to in
INSTALL.CVS.

You should avoid creating a base loaddefs by hand on windows, because
it should not be necessary, and otherwise someone will have to
remember to update the makefile rule every time the version in
autoload.el is changed.

finder-data and custom-deps should not depend on $(lisp)/loaddefs.el
because it should not be necessary now, and because if they do it can
cause a redumping of Emacs.

mh-autoloads should not be listed as a prereq of anything, because the
normal autoloads rule takes care of it.

recompile should depend on LOADDEFS, not just mh-autoloads.

People on Windows may want to take advantage of parallel
byte-compiling just as much as those on Unix.

etc.

It's basically just a case of syncing the makefile.w32-in with
Makefile.in.