Re: shell-mode: point left in the wrong place after output

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: shell-mode: point left in the wrong place after output
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:55:35 -0400

> I advice comint-output-filter to process the output -- but at
> first check I didn't spot any reason why it should be breaking.

The main change is that comint-output-filter does not use
insert-before-markers any more.  So if you use `save-excursion' around
it, point will now stay in front of the insertion.

        Stefan

>>> This is using the latest CVS snapshot.
Stefan> I don't know what you mean by "CVS snapshot", but
Stefan> I'll assume you mean that you recently updated your
Stefan> CVS check out.
Stefan>
>>> It looks like point gets left at the front of the inserted
>>> outputfrom frm a shell command, rther than at the end.
Stefan>
>>> Test:
Stefan>
>>> See output below: echo foo foo
Stefan>
Stefan> I tried:
Stefan>
Stefan> emacs -Q M-x shell-mode RET echo foo RET
Stefan>
Stefan> and it worked just fine, with point ending right
Stefan> after the prompt.  Can you provide a more precise
Stefan> recipe?
Stefan>
Stefan>
Stefan> Stefan