Re: Lost antialias?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Lost antialias?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:16:05 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> How about treating "Helv" and "Courier" specially in
> ffont_resolve_generic_family, similar to "Sans" and "Mono"?

Why don't we just change the default face definitions to something more
appropriate on a modern system?

Maybe it would be also useful to support something like web-browsers
use, where you could specify a "family" of "Dejavu Sans,Helvetica,Sans",
and it would split the list at the commas and use the first one it could
find.

That way we could safely use "Dejavu Sans" [etc] when available, which
is probably the nicest and most consistent widely available choice on
modern FOSS systems.

-Miles

--
Carefully crafted initial estimates reward you not only with
reduced computational effort, but also with understanding and