Re: Display-based word wrapping

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Display-based word wrapping
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:42:01 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> To the problem of how to treat truncate-partial-window-width once
> word-wrapping is available as a third option for long lines (the first
> two options being line truncation and simple line continuation).
>
> Instead of adding `word-wrap' as a new value for truncate-lines, let's
> say we add a new per-buffer variable, `word-wrap', which if non-nil
> says to wrap lines at word boundaries rather than the middle of words.
> This variable has no effect if lines are truncated instead of
> continued.  Then truncate-partial-window-width need not "care" about
> whether non-truncation means simple line continuation or word
> wrapping.
>
> Finally, by allowing truncate-partial-window-width to take integer
> values as you suggested, and then setting the default to a number such
> as 30, we can ensure that word wrapping can still take place for
> reasonably-sized partial-width windows.

So, any objections to this set of variables?

  word-wrap (default: nil)
  *Non-nil means to use word-wrapping for continuation lines.
  When word-wrapping is on, continuation lines are wrapped at the space
  or tab character nearest to the right window edge.
  If nil, continuation lines are wrapped at the right screen edge.

  This variable has no effect if long lines are truncated (see
  `truncate-lines' and `truncate-partial-width-windows').

  truncate-partial-width-windows (default: 35)
  Non-nil means truncate lines in windows with less than the frame width.
  For an integer value, truncate lines in each window with less than the
  full frame width, provided the window width is less than that integer;
  otherwise, respect the value of `truncate-lines'.

  For any other non-nil value, truncate lines in all windows with
  less than the full frame width.

  Nil means to respect the value of `truncate-lines'.

For now, I will not provide a way to change the column at which line
wrapping/continuation/truncation takes place, but I know how to do it
(it's a separate set of changes).