Re: Embedding Html in Lisp

From: A Soare
Subject: Re: Embedding Html in Lisp
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 02:32:51 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks a lot for your reaction. You asked very well a question.

> A Soare wrote:
> >>    Html is lisp.
> >>
> >> You dignify html a lot more than it deserves!
> >>

> > With the classical definition of HTML , yes.
> >
> > With the new definition, they can be compared.
> >

> Are there any "structured data" languages that you know
> of that can *not* be transformed to lisp in a similar way?
> In other words, is HTML really special this way?  Or
> is this a specific instance of a generalized phenomenon?

What is behind of the phenomenon that I discovered here? Good
question...

The general principle discovered here is:

«The class of Markup languages is a subset of functional
languages. Every markup language is a very special case of
functional language.»

That says everything.

Html is defined as a very simplified functional language.
Xml is a simplified functional than html a little different of html.
Every markup language is a very simplified example of functional language.

To understand this principle, it is easy. Consider a functional
language like an implementation of a lambda-calculus, and
consider an implementation of a lambda-calculus as an evaluator.

Consider lisp evaluator as first example. To interpret html we need a
lisp evaluator in which the objects have just 2 types: strings and
list (in emacs Lisp the evaluator supports objects of 19 types (from
which 12 are Subtypes Lisp_Misc, because the evaluator allocated for
type object location just 3 bits)). (using these 2 types we can
express everything that html want to express). So HTML evaluator
embedded in LISP uses very little from the power of the lisp
evalutor. (imagine Edward Scissorhands working to create an html
evaluator from a lisp evaluator).

So I define html as a functional language defined by an evaluator with
2 types. It does not matter whether the evaluator supports closure
property or not and these kind of details. Imagine the tag (center 30
"string"). Do we need a closure property to execute it? What does it
have to do? Simple: It knows the width that is allocated for the
object that it must return, and it knows the value of the object. So
it will create a string in which this object is centered. It will
return:

"           string             "
(if the string was aligned on a single line) or something like:

"           string1           "
"           string2           "
"           string3           "
"           string4           "

if the string =
"
s1
s2
s3
s4. etc.

The same reasoning for XML. For XML we need 3 types (symbol + string +
list as I imagine).

All these markup languages are very simplified types of functional
languages. This is the genetal phenomenon. This is the new definition
of html. Is't an element of the class of functional languages.

Sorry for not having expressed myself clear from the first message.

So I proved that Html deserves so much! It's a simplified
lambda-calculus like Lisp!

A.S.

PS: for the rest of the message I will answer you later or tomorrow.

En quelques secondes, créez-vous une autre adresse mail ! http://mail.voila.fr

En quelques secondes, créez-vous une autre adresse mail ! http://mail.voila.fr