Re: Building Emacs

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Building Emacs
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:32:33 +1200

 > >> It outputs "nil" so many times that any meaningful message flashes by
 > >
 > > I don't see that.  Could you post some example session?
 >
 > I think maybe Nick applied an early version of the window-group patch,
 > which contains some debug statements I forgot.
 >
 > Could you try removing those, Nick?

Yes, you're right.  Thanks.  However, it doesn't explain why it tries to
bootstrap when I just do make:

   address@hidden:~/emacs/build$ make
   boot=bootstrap-emacs;                         \

I don't recall this happening before.  I had presumed that this is due to this
change:

2008-06-22  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>

        * Makefile.in (${lisp} ${SOME_MACHINE_LISP}, ../lisp/loaddefs.el):
        Use $(BOOTSTRAPEMACS) rather than witness-emacs.

Maybe it has something to do with using a separate build directory
(~/emacs/build/) to the source (~/emacs/src)

 > >> and it insists on generating autoloads for all files in the
 > >> lisp directory.
 > >
 > > That was also the case in the past, except that your recipe simply never
 > > updated the loaddefs.el file.

I'm not sure what you're saying but I'm saying the behaviour appears to have
changed.

 > >> Is there a way to get the old behaviour.  It left problems from time to
 > >> time
 > >> but I could generally see how to fix them.
 > >
 > > How 'bout adding "no-autoloads" annotations to the files you don't
 > > want autoloaded?

I could do but it's more inconvenient than my previous method.