Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 18:54:31 +0200

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 09:52:38PM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> By M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET american RET, my ispell
> started to accept "standardise".  But, when I select
> "default", it seems that ispell get back to "british".

That means that the /usr/lib/ispell/default.{aff,hash} symlinks point to
the ispell British dictionary. Why British is set instead of American depends
on your distro, it might be hardcoded, it might be the result of en_{GB,UK}
being alphabetically before en_US when trying to guess a choice if there is
no exact match for your Japanese locale, ....

If there is no way to spellcheck Japanese with {ispell,flyspell}.el, you may
want to set ispell-local-dictionary to "american" (otherwise that may
interfere with your native spellchecking). If you want that only
when writing lisp code, there is surely an appropriate hook for that.