Re: Faces applies to new frames

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Faces applies to new frames
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:43:25 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> And that's exactly the reason why I introduced `font-parameter'.
>>> Basically, I think that frame parameters should generally take
>>> precedence since they may really be set on a frame-by-frame basis.
>
>> Eh?  face attributes can be set on a frame-by-frame basis too...
>
> Sorry, I tend to leave this out indeed, but AFAIK this is never
> a problem: we're mostly talking here about settings saved somewhere so
> they're applied at frame creation.  `set-face-attribute' applied to
> a single frame happen afterwards and don't need to save anything
> anywhere, so they "just work" (tho they may be incorrectly overridden
> later on by a defface spec if Custom is asked to reapply a particular
> defface spec,. typically becaquse that spec was changed).

The thing is, we've got like 10 different ways of specifying stuff,
_all_ of which seem to be consulted at frame-creation time, and which
seem in many cases pretty redundant.

Maybe the facespec stuff is necessary (mainly becuase facespecs can
encode frame-type specific conditional settings), but face-attributes
and frame-paramter seem to cover roughly the same ground (with
frame-attributes being generally nicer and more functiona AFAICS).  Are
frame-parameter settings ever actually necessary, other than for
historical compatibility with emacs 19/20?

-Miles

--
Opposition, n. In politics the party that prevents the Goverment from running
amok by hamstringing it.