Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:50:48 -0400

Chong Yidong wrote:
Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:

I've bitten the bullet and started to work on it again.  As I said in
private email to Chong, working on this project in a CVS branch has all
the appeal of trying to convince most of the readers of this list that
vi was the right way after all.  Sure enough, I check out the branch,
do a ./configure run "make bootstrap" and BAM:

Most unfortunate.  But shouldn't the relevant file be only rmail.el?

It is the most relevant but not the only one.

Maybe you could pull in the rest of the CVS trunk keep the version of
rmail.el from the branch.  Or does the mbox branch change other files?

I'll pull in the files from the branch as they are needed. The new files are of course trivial to merge. I plan on handling files which need to be changed by renaming them initially to p* instead or r* but otherwise leave them intact from the branch. This is part of my goal to be able to have side by side instances of Rmail/babyl and Rmail/mbox running simultaneously. Then after a set of key people, probably you, rms and Stefan at the least, bless the Rmail/mbox variant, I'll do the merge which will be tantamount to combining the p* files into the r* files but all done using the trunk. It might make some sense to resolve conflicts as I pull in files from the branch that need to be modified. We'll see how it plays out.

-pmr