Re: "scroll-fringe"

From: ken manheimer
Subject: Re: "scroll-fringe"
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:34:48 -0400

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> i've been thinking for a while about the usefulness of the scrollbar
>> versus its space consumption and visual incongruity, and recently
>> turned the scrollbar off.  the only thing i miss is the opportunity to
>> see at a glance the proportion of the buffer that the window covers,
>
> Indeed, that was also my conclusion when I tried it: for actual
> movement, scroll-wheels, key-shortcuts, as well as things like
> mouse-drag-throw work just as well.
>
>> and it seems like that would not at all be a hard thing to implement
>> in the fringes, given the right knowledge.
>
> I'm not completely convinced it's that easy to do right now.  But yes,
> it could be done with some work at the C level.  But it would only be
> meaningful if it works together with the usual fringe use.  If not, then
> you may as well turn off the fringe and turn on the scrollbar.

yeah - i would really be looking for a minimal indicator, like a
region colored differently than the other fringe indicators so the
other indicators could coexist with the new indicator bar.

> As for me, I still have a scroll-bar, but I made it very thin (changing
> the scroll-bar-width frame parameter).

it's handy to hear about both mouse-drag-throw and the
scroll-bar-width parameter!  i would be more comfortable with a
thinner scrollbar if i could get the colors more consistent with my
setup - customizing the scroll bar face doesn't seem to have any
effect at all.  am i trying to set the wrong thing?

anyway, thanks for the leads, and for considering the fringe
window/buffer indicator idea.  sounds like it could be viable, given
interest from someone w/the c-level chops.

--
ken
http://myriadicity.net