Re: Question about dumping emacs under Solaris

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Question about dumping emacs under Solaris
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:51:34 -0400

> In the absence of any other information, that's probably
> the best we can do. I can do the obvious tests (build it,
> show it runs, use it for awhile). That's not what I'd call
> positive proof, but it may be our only path forward.

Actually, w.r.t "dump", I'd expect that if the resulting executable
starts up correctly and survives a few GC cycles, that's positive proof
that the dump works right.  It's theoretically possible for bugs to
manifest themselves later, but it seems difficult to come up with
realistic scenarios.

> So my test matrix is really pretty small. Solaris and GNU
> ld, on sparc and intel. I've already built the Solaris ld versions
> with dldump(), and have been using it as my daily editor for
> most of last week without issue. I'll keep poking at it, and
> if things seem solid, perhaps I'll submit the change.

Please send the patch along,

        Stefan