Re: New look for Emacs-23.0

From: Francesc Rocher
Subject: Re: New look for Emacs-23.0
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:28:42 +0200

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>>    (= (funcall 'x-display-planes) 8))
>> +                                                               "splash8.xpm"
>> +                                                        "splash.xpm"))))
>> +                                       (t "splash.pbm")))
>
> This code still needs to be tuned to correctly pay attention to the
> color depth: testing display-planes only when we don't support SVG and
> PNG doesn't make any sense.

May be what's wrong is that 'x-display-planes' is used to test whether
'splash8.xpm' or 'splash.xpm' must be displayed. I think it's wrong
because both images are not so different. Judging by the name of these
images, I did suppose they had different color depth. Surprisingly,
I've found this:

splash.xpm
static char *splash[] = {
/* width height num_colors chars_per_pixel */
"   270   217        4            1",
/* colors */
". c None",
"# c #c64e3b",
"a c #000000",
"c c #2076c1",

splash8.xpm
static char * splash_xpm[] = {
"270 217 4 1",
"       c None",
".      c #C64E3B",
"+      c #000000",
"@      c #2076C1",

So, in terms of color depth, what's the difference between these images?

Best regards,
--
Francesc Rocher