Re: visual-line-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:44:51 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> Also, David Reitter's minor mode handles variable-width fonts.  AFAICT,
> your patch doesn't support that, or at least not without a further
> extension of vertical-motion to support a pixel goal.

Actually Stefan's code seems to work fine with variable-width fonts.

> So I think we ought to check in David's code.  Once that's done, we can
> see about extending vertical-motion and making the minor mode use that,
> for increased speed.

I dunno, visual-line-mode is obviously a lot more code without a
proportionate gain in functionality; when there are wrapped lines, it's
so slow for me as to be almost unusable.

Given that Stefan's almost trivial patch works pretty well, it seems
possible that a mode similar to David's visual-line-mode, but much
smaller, could be written using Emacs-23-specific features.

-Miles

--
Erudition, n. Dust shaken out of a book into an empty skull.