Re: visual-line-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:09:41 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> It clearly makes sense to use TL for all commands (what we've done
> until now), and it also makes sense to use VL for all commands (as
> provided by David Reitter's code).  I don't think it makes sense to
> use TL for C-n/C-p and VL for the rest.  But should we support the
> combination of VL for C-n/C-p and TL for the rest?  That's what I've
> been using recently and I like it, so I think it makes sense.  I'm
> even tempted to make it the default.  But its internal inconsistence
> is a bit troublesome.

If you take a look at the documentation of next-line, you'll find that
it goes to considerable pain to navigate _visually_ already without your
patch.  It vscrolls tall lines, it tries maintaining the current column
and a few other things.

So it makes some sense to let them move visual lines.  That leaves us
without an approach to logical lines.  C-e C-f can be used to move to
the next line, but not if those are mapped to logical movement as well.

move-end-of-line and move-beginning-of-line inherently don't do visual
work.  So I think that for a default behavior, just affecting next-line,
previous-line, scroll-up, scroll-down and possibly other visual-content
related commands sounds reasonable and more or less in spirit to what is
there already.