Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:32:37 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> The point is that installing MS-Windows _works_.  Most of the time,
>> pretty painlessly.  I've done it for a friend a few times.  There was
>> no need for me to crawl through HOWTOs or search out kernel
>> documentation to make it work.
>
> As a data-point, I've quite often failed to install MS-Windows, and
> then flawlessly installed a Fedora GNU/Linux on the same machine. No
> magic-incantations, even.

As another data point: I had several laptops die on me (botched BIOS
update, cup of tea).  Both were dual-boot systems with Windows (98 or
2000, I forgot which).  I think the first had been a RedHat system, the
second had been Ubuntu.

I transferred the disk to a new system.  The Linux partition (generic
kernel) noted the change of hardware and came up pretty much without a
hitch.  The Windows partition...  well the first already barfed upon the
disk geometry (different BIOS, different geometry spoofing).  Either had
a wagonload of trouble with drivers and hardware before I could get it
to work again.  Took weeks each time around to make most of it work
(even though Internet access was not a topic due to lack of virus
updates).

Now nowadays things have become easier with Windows XP.  More drivers
are built in, and it won't help you, because XP refuses to come up on a
previously unregistered system.

Last laptop I bought I went into the shop and tried my disk, and the
shop assistant said that it would not work.  It worked, and the reason
was that it was not Windows.

So if you cherish your work environment and your data, don't tie
yourself down to Windows.  You can't move on in a sane way.  Even
disregarding all other aspects of non-freedom, it will stop working
together with the hardware.  And that's a chance one should not be
taking.

--
David Kastrup