Re: nextstep copyright issues

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: nextstep copyright issues
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:05:58 +0000 (UTC)

Glenn Morris <rgm <at> gnu.org> writes:

> At first glance, the following people listed in nextstep/AUTHORS do
> not have copyright assignments (I could just be not seeing them):
>
> Michael Brouwer  "NEEDS DISCLAIMER BEFORE NEW CONTRIBUTIONS ACCEPTED?"
>                  (probably OK...)
> Christian Limpach (only gnus)
> Christophe de Dinechin

All three of them should be on file.  I spent several weeks back
in 2005 tracking down the people needing copyrights and hounding
them to sign. ;)  All three definitely said to me they did so.  I
remember Christophe in particular confirmed that he received
something back from the FSF (he had to get a disclaimer from his
employer in fact).

> These contributions sound like they might be tiny:

This is correct, except for Adam Ratcliffe <address@hidden>,
who wrote the Preferences Panel section of ns-emacs.texi.  I am
not sure whether he signed papers or not.

> And none of the "GNUstep port" people (probably no code).

Correct.

> doc/emacs/ns-emacs.texi needs the copyright holders (but see
> above) and license fixing.  It also lists some people not in
> nextstep/AUTHORS without assignment: Leigh Smith, Steve Nygard.

As that file says, Leigh Smith maintained the SourceForge site
for a period.  AUTHORS is about contributors to Emacs.app itself.
Steve Nygard worked on unexnext.c.  Since this file was in GNU
Emacs itself until a month or two ago (Dan N.'s obsolete systems
cleanout) I assumed it was credited elsewhere (and papers taken
care of).

> nextstep/GNUstep/Emacs.base/Resource/emacs.tiff should have a
> README like those in etc/images.  (Does this file need to be
> here rather than in etc/images?)

It does not need to be there I guess, but it followed the
convention for
nextstep/Cocoa/Emacs.base/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns, which in
turn followed the Carbon port
mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns.  All three are the
icon used for Emacs.  Keeping them there keeps the app packaging
support structure consolidated and avoids the need for extra code
in the Makefile to copy them separately.