Re: line-line-move-visual: was line motion problem

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: line-line-move-visual: was line motion problem
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:26:44 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we should have a defcustom that sets the default value of
> line-move-visual, and a minor mode (I guess it'll be called
> visual-line-mode, since there doesn't seem to be any better name) that
> provides the rest of the visual editing features.

The following patch implements this approach.  I've taken bits from
visual-line.el, and re-written other bits to make use of the new
features of vertical-motion in Emacs 23.

Could people try it out and see if it DTRT?

As Richard suggested, it binds M-[ and M-] to logical previous-line and
next-line.  I don't know, OTOH, where a logical kill-line should be
bound (visual-line.el bound it to C-K, but this doesn't seem optimal,
since OTOH we try not to use upcased keybindings where possible).

*** trunk/lisp/simple.el.~1.934.~       2008-07-15 14:47:32.000000000 -0400
--- trunk/lisp/simple.el        2008-07-16 14:23:26.000000000 -0400
***************
*** 3906,3916 ****
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'editing-basics)

! (defvar line-move-visual t
    "When non-nil, `line-move' moves point by visual lines.
  This movement is based on where the cursor is displayed on the
  screen, instead of relying on buffer contents alone.  It takes
! into account variable-width characters and line continuation.")

  ;; Returns non-nil if partial move was done.
  (defun line-move-partial (arg noerror to-end)
--- 3906,3919 ----
    :type 'boolean
    :group 'editing-basics)

! (defcustom line-move-visual t
    "When non-nil, `line-move' moves point by visual lines.
  This movement is based on where the cursor is displayed on the
  screen, instead of relying on buffer contents alone.  It takes
! into account variable-width characters and line continuation."
!   :type 'boolean
!   :group 'editing-basics)
! (make-variable-buffer-local 'line-move-visual)

  ;; Returns non-nil if partial move was done.
  (defun line-move-partial (arg noerror to-end)
***************
*** 4017,4022 ****
--- 4020,4027 ----
    (let ((inhibit-point-motion-hooks t)
        (opoint (point))
        (orig-arg arg))
+     (if (floatp temporary-goal-column)
+       (setq temporary-goal-column (truncate temporary-goal-column)))
      (unwind-protect
        (progn
          (if (not (memq last-command '(next-line previous-line)))
***************
*** 4365,4371 ****
--- 4370,4499 ----
      )
    nil)

+ ;;; Editing based on visual lines, as opposed to logical lines.
+
+ (defun end-of-visual-line (&optional n)
+   "Move point to end of current visual line.
+ With argument N not nil or 1, move forward N - 1 visual lines first.
+ If point reaches the beginning or end of buffer, it stops there.
+ To ignore intangibility, bind `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t."
+   (interactive "^p")
+   (or n (setq n 1))
+   (if (/= n 1)
+       (let ((line-move-visual t))
+       (line-move (1- n) t)))
+   (vertical-motion (cons (window-width) 0)))
+
+ (defun beginning-of-visual-line (&optional n)
+   "Move point to beginning of current visual line.
+ With argument N not nil or 1, move forward N - 1 visual lines first.
+ If point reaches the beginning or end of buffer, it stops there.
+ To ignore intangibility, bind `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t."
+   (interactive "^p")
+   (or n (setq n 1))
+   (if (/= n 1)
+       (let ((line-move-visual t))
+       (line-move (1- n) t)))
+   (vertical-motion 0))
+
+ (defun kill-visual-line (&optional arg)
+   "Kill the rest of the visual line.
+ If there are only whitespace characters there, kill through the
+ newline as well.
+
+ With prefix argument, kill that many lines from point.
+ Negative arguments kill lines backward.
+ With zero argument, kill the text before point on the current line.
+
+ When calling from a program, nil means \"no arg\",
+ a number counts as a prefix arg.
+
+ If `kill-whole-line' is non-nil, then this command kills the whole line
+ including its terminating newline, when used at the beginning of a line
+ with no argument.  As a consequence, you can always kill a whole line
+ by typing \\[beginning-of-line] \\[kill-line].
+
+ If you want to append the killed line to the last killed text,
+ use \\[append-next-kill] before \\[kill-line].
+
+ If the buffer is read-only, Emacs will beep and refrain from deleting
+ the line, but put the line in the kill ring anyway.  This means that
+ you can use this command to copy text from a read-only buffer.
+ \(If the variable `kill-read-only-ok' is non-nil, then this won't
+ even beep.)"
+   (interactive "P")
+   (let ((opoint (point))
+       (line-move-visual t)
+       end)
+     ;; It is better to move point to the other end of the kill before
+     ;; killing.  That way, in a read-only buffer, point moves across
+     ;; the text that is copied to the kill ring.  The choice has no
+     ;; effect on undo now that undo records the value of point from
+     ;; before the command was run.
+     (if arg
+       (vertical-motion (prefix-numeric-value arg))
+       (if (eobp)
+         (signal 'end-of-buffer nil))
+       (setq end (save-excursion
+                 (end-of-visual-line) (point)))
+       (if (or (save-excursion
+               ;; If trailing whitespace is visible,
+               ;; don't treat it as nothing.
+               (unless show-trailing-whitespace
+                 (skip-chars-forward " \t" end))
+               (= (point) end))
+             (and kill-whole-line (bolp)))
+         (line-move 1)
+       (goto-char end)))
+     (kill-region opoint (point))))
+
+ (defun next-logical-line (&optional arg try-vscroll)
+   "Move cursor vertically down ARG lines.
+ This is identical to `previous-line', except that it always moves
+ by logical lines instead of visual lines, ignoring the value of
+ `line-move-visual'."
+   (interactive "^p\np")
+   (let ((line-move-visual nil))
+     (with-no-warnings
+       (next-line arg try-vscroll))))
+
+ (defun previous-logical-line (&optional arg try-vscroll)
+   "Move cursor vertically up ARG lines.
+ This is identical to `previous-line', except that it always moves
+ by logical lines instead of visual lines, ignoring the value of
+ `line-move-visual'."
+   (interactive "^p\np")
+   (let ((line-move-visual nil))
+     (with-no-warnings
+       (previous-line arg try-vscroll))))

+ (defvar visual-line-mode-map
+   (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
+     (define-key map [remap kill-line] 'kill-visual-line)
+     (define-key map [remap move-beginning-of-line] 'beginning-of-visual-line)
+     (define-key map [remap move-end-of-line]  'end-of-visual-line)
+     (define-key map "\M-[" 'previous-logical-line)
+     (define-key map "\M-]" 'next-logical-line)
+     map))
+
+ (define-minor-mode visual-line-mode
+   "Define key binding for visual line moves."
+   :keymap visual-line-mode-map
+   :group 'convenience
+   (if visual-line-mode
+       (progn
+       (setq line-move-visual t
+             word-wrap t))
+     (kill-local-variable 'line-move-visual)
+     (kill-local-variable 'word-wrap)))
+
+ (defun turn-on-visual-line-mode ()
+   (visual-line-mode 1))
+
+ (define-globalized-minor-mode global-visual-line-mode
+   visual-line-mode turn-on-visual-line-mode
+   :lighter " vl")
+
  (defun scroll-other-window-down (lines)
    "Scroll the \"other window\" down.
  For more details, see the documentation for `scroll-other-window'."