Re: (fboundp 'make-symbolic-link) on w32

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: (fboundp 'make-symbolic-link) on w32
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:12:36 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
returns t, but when I just tried to use it on Windows XP it gives me
  File error: "Symbolic links are not supported"
That seems a bit inconvenient to me. Should it really be this way?

Yes: make-symbolic-link will work for some files, just not all.
E.g. it may work for files accessed via Tramp.  So the only way to
figure out if it works is by trying it.

Thanks, I see. Then I suggest adding a comment about this to the doc string, something like:

Make a symbolic link to filename, named linkname.
Both args must be strings.
Signals a `file-already-exists' error if a file linkname already exists
unless optional third argument ok-if-already-exists is non-nil.
A number as third arg means request confirmation if linkname already exists.
Confirmation is also requested for interactive use with M-x.

Note that symbolic link does not exist on all platform even though this function still exist for use via Tramp.