Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:33:13 -0500

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:58:46 +0900 Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

MB> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> You can use the input method "ucs" to input any Unicode
>> character by typing its codepoint.  A method by typing
>> Unicode name is not yet implemented.

MB> An input method is not a good solution because while input methods are
MB> good for heavy use, they're quite annoying to juggle for occasional inputs.

Agreed, there should be a function that gives all the Unicode characters
as input candidates and the user can select the one he wants quickly (I
don't see one currently).  An input method wouldn't provide completion
candidates, so the user has to remember all the names he needs.

Would a few thousand candidates be a problem for completion?  I've only
seen it with hundreds and it's not slow, but for this maybe maybe we can
break it down by block name and then character name.

Ted