Re: Default colours in X11 frames?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Default colours in X11 frames?
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:28:31 +0100

James Cloos wrote:
> I notice that my compile of CVS from yesterday has new colours for many
> faces.

> Also, font-local-comment-face, using Firebrick, looks brighter than
> it used to.

Do
(color-values "blue")
and
(color-values "firebrick")

return the same values on pre- and post- merge builds for you?

- they do for me, and I don't seem to see color differences (checked
with the gimp too).  While the NS port _did_ introduce a load of its own
color handling stuff (including some pretty gratuitous-looking color
database duplication - emacs/etc/Emacs.clr vs. emacs/etc/rgb.txt ),  it
seems to be confined to NS-specific code paths.

> I also updated the X server at that time (from its Git master), but
> other apps seem to have the same colours.

N.B. There have been relatively recent changes to the x.org named color
handling - rgb.txt got deprecated, now the server ignores RGBPath and
uses a compiled-in list  (effectively the same values as the historic
default rgb.txt though), and libX11 defaults to trying Xcms before the
server list.  That said, I'd naively expect any weirdness in named-color
resolution on the X side to affect all apps using it equally, so it
probably doesn't explain it.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-April/034408.html